Manuela Caiani is Associate Professor at the Institute of Scienze Umane e Sociali at the Scuola Normale Superiore (SNS) of Florence. Her research interests focus on: Europeanization and social movements, right wing extremism in Europe and the USA, political mobilization and the Internet, qualitative methods of social research and political violence and terrorism. She has been involved in several international comparative research projects (FP4, FP5, FP7) and coordinated research units for individual projects and grants (Marie Curie 2011-13, FP7-PEOPLE-2009-IEF, n° 252957; Research Grant Jubilaumsfonds, ONB, Oesterreichische National Bank, 2010-2012, project n. 14035; Post-Doctoral TRA Fellowship, START Center, 2009, University of Maryland; Funding Award, CNR-Italian Research Council, 2005). She has also been invited as a guest speaker and guest professor from more than ten universities in Europe and USA. She has participated as panel organizer and or/paper presenter at several national and international conferences (among which the ECPR, CES, IPSA, MidWest) and she is a referee of over 20 leading political science and sociology journals and publishers. She published in, among others, the following journals: Mobilization, Acta Politica, European Union Politics, South European Society and Politics, RISP and for the following publishers: Oxford University press, Ashgate, Palgrave.
5 most recent publications:
- With P. R. Graziano, (2016), Varieties of Populism: Insights from the Italian Case, in Italian Political Science Review, 46 (2),1-25.
- With S. Guerra, (forthcoming 2016) Euroscepticism, democracy and the media: Communicating Europe, Contesting Europe, Palgrave.
- With L. Parenti (2013), European and American Extreme Right Groups and the Internet, Ashgate.
- With D. della Porta and C. Wagemann (2012), Mobilizing on the Extreme Right, Oxford, Oxford University Press.
- With D. della Porta (2009), Social Movements and Europeanisation, Oxford, Oxford University Press.
5 Relevant previous projects and activities:
- June 2016 - Jun 2018 SNS Research Grant, received from the Scuola Normale Superiore, PI for the project “Right-Wing Political Radicalization Using the Internet in Eastern and Central Europe”, Italy.
- 2010 - 2012 Research Grant Jubilaumsfonds, Oesterreichische National Bank, PI for the project “The Dark Side of the Web European and American Extreme Right Groups and online Politics” (project n. 14035), IHS, Wien.
- 2006 - 2007 CONNEX Network -Connecting Excellence on European Governance. Research group on “Civil Society, Social Capital and Multilevel Governance in Europe”, directed by J. Van Deth and W. Maloney, EC (FP IV).
- 2002 - 2005 EU-funded project Europub.Com on the “Europeanisation of the Public Sphere”, directed by R. Koopmans (FP V).
- 2001 - 2002 ESF- Network for the project on “Active Citizenship, Participation and Democracy” (CID), European Science Foundation, Mannheim, Germany.
Comparative and European Politics II. Europeanization from below: European Integration and Civil SocietyCorso perfezionamento