Doctor in Electronic Engineering, cum laude, University of Trieste (Italy). 1985.
Doctor in Physics, cum laude, University of Bologna (Italy). 1988.
Languages: Italian, English, French.
Agenzia Nazionale per la Valutazione del Sistema Universitario e della Ricerca (ANVUR). Board of Directors.
November 2000 – present
Scuola Normale Superiore, Pisa, Italy. Professor of Physics of Matter.
November 1992 – October 2000
Scuola Normale Superiore, Pisa, Italy. Associate Professor of Structure of Matter.
September 1991 – October 2000
Laboratorio TASC-INFM, Trieste, Italy. Quantum Device Laboratory, Division leader.
September 1986 - August 1991
AT&T Bell Laboratories, Quantum Phenomena and Device Research Department, Murray Hill, New Jersey, USA, Consultant and PMTS.
September 1984 - August 1986
Consiglio Nazionale delle Ricerche, Istituto LAMEL, Bologna, Italy. SGS-Thomson Fellow.
OTHER ACTIVITIES and HONOURS
- 2016-present: President, Fondazione Pisana per la Scienza
- 2016-present: President, Scientific Committee, Fondazione per l’Innovazione e lo Sviluppo Imprenditoriale
- 2015-present: Coordinator, Centro di Competenza NEST per le Nanotecnologie
- 2006-present: Member, Scientific Council Fondazione S. Tronchetti Provera, Milano
- 2010-2016: Director, Scuola Normale Superiore
- 2012-2017: Commissario Straordinario, Domus Mazziniana
- 2012-2016: Commissario Straordinario, Domus Galilaeana
- 2011-2016: Coordinator, Technical Committee, Fondo Rotativo Imprese innovative
- 1995-2016: Director, Laboratorio NEST, Scuola Normale Superiore
- 2006-2013: Vice President, Fondazione Toscana Life Sciences, Siena
- 2005-2010: Vice Director, Scuola Normale Superiore
- 2001-2009: Director, National Enterprise for nanoScience and nanoTechnology (NEST), National R&D Nanoscience Centre of the Istituto Nazionale per la Fisica della Materia
- 2001-2004: Director, National Semiconductor Division of Istituto Nazionale per la Fisica della Materia
- 2001-2004: Member, Scientific Council of INFM
- Fellow of the American Physical Society
- Senior Member of IEEE
- Commendatore (2007) and Grande Ufficiale (2014) dell’Ordine della Repubblica Italiana
Fabio Beltram and his group carry out research work in the field of nanoscience and nanotechnology with a broad spectrum of topics. His results appeared in about four hundred publications on international journals and patents.
He has always worked on the physics and device applications of semiconductor and hybrid superconductor‐semiconductor nanostructures. Increasingly, in the last years, Fabio Beltram has carried out research activity in the field of molecular biophysics in order to apply his expertise in nanotechnology and in the engineering of nanostructures to significant issues in nanobiotechnology and biomedicine.
Topics presently investigated include: electron transport in semiconductor nanostructures with an emphasis on many‐body effects, THz laser sources, ballistic transport in nano‐ and hybrid superconductor‐semiconductor structures. In the context of molecular biophysics main lines include the design and exploitation of molecular‐medicine vectors, biosensors, and novel mutants of green fluorescent proteins for single‐molecule proteomics in live cells. (For further information: www.laboratorionest.it)