Manuela Caiani is Associate Professor in Political Science at the Scuola Normale Superiore. She has received her national Italian ‘Abilitazione’ for full professorship in Political Science and Political Sociology, in 2017.
Her research interests focus on: populism (left wing and right wing); radical right politics and nationalist movements and parties; social movements and political participation in Europe/transnationalisation; qualitative methods of social research (frame analysis, social network analysis, etc.). She has directed and collaborator on a number of international projects on topics relating to: social movements and Europeanization, Radical right mobilization (and the Internet), disengagement from terrorism, Causes and Consequences of populism, Cultural populism (Volskwagen Stiftung, FP4, FP5, FP7; PRIN 2016-2019; Marie Curie 2011-13; Research Grant Jubilaumsfonds, ONB, 2010-2012, project; Doctoral TRA Fellowship, START Center, 2009, University of Maryland). She published in, among others, the following journals: WEP, EJPR, Mobilization, Acta Politica, European Union Politics, South European Society and Politics, RISP and for the following publishers: Oxford University press, Ashgate, Palgrave.
Among the most recent publications:
- Caiani M, Padoan E. (2021) Populism and the (Italian) crisis: The voters and the context. Politics. September 2020. doi:10.1177/0263395720952627
- Manuela Caiani and Enrico Padoan (2020), Special Issue “The Cultural Side of Populism: Politics, Emotions, Music and Subcultures in Populist Times”, Partecipazione e Conflitto (Participation and Conflict), Issue 13(1)
- With P. Graziano, (2019) ‘Understanding Varieties of populism in times of crises’, West European Politics, pp. 1141-1158. (Published also as edited book for Routledge 2021)
- With O. Cisar (2018), ‘Radical Right Movement-parties in Europe, Routledge.
- With P. Graziano, (2018) ‘Europeanisation and social movements: The case of the Stop TTIP campaign’, European Journal of Political Research, pp.: 1-25.
- With L. Parenti, (2013) ‘European and American Extreme Right Groups and the Internet’, Ashgate.
- With D. della Porta and C. Wagemann (2012), ‘Mobilizing on the Extreme Right’, Oxford University Press.
Projects and activities:
- 2021-2022 ‘Tackling illiberal narratives and Euroscepticism from below’ , Europe for Citizens Framework
- 2019-2021 ‘Populism and Popular Music in Europe’, Volkswagen Stiftung.
- 2018-2020 The consequences of Populism in Power’ SNS internal Grants.
- 2016-2019, PRIN (Italian Research Ministry Funds) Project on “Politics e Policy in Europa in tempo di crisi: Cause e Conseguenze”, Head of the Unity- SNS.
- June 2016 - Jun 2018 SNS Research Grant, SNS, PI for the project “Right-Wing Political Radicalization Using the Internet in Eastern and Central Europe”, Italy.
- 2010 - 2012 Research Grant Jubilaumsfonds, Oesterreichische National Bank, PI for the project “The Dark Side of the Web European and American Extreme Right Groups and online Politics” (project n. 14035), IHS, Wien.
Research interest and Phd Supervision:
Prof. Caiani is open to supervising students in areas related to:
- Right Wing and Left Wing Populism
- Radical Right political parties and Movements
- Extreme right
- Social Movements, Europeanization and European Protest Campaigns
- Collective mobilization, transnationalization, and social networks
- Methods: formalized content analysis, frame analysis, interviews, social network analysis, protest event analysis
- Jacopo Custodi
- Beatrice Carella
- Nicolo’ Pennucci
- Ivan Tranfic
- Aida Kapetanovic
- Bathuan Erren
- George Venizelos
- Francesca Feo