Orientation Courses of the Scuola Normale Superiore
The places will be assigned on a regional basis, save for those reserved for students from schools abroad, in proportion to the number of schools sending candidatures from each region. In any case, in the event of candidatures from Molise and the Valle d’Aosta, at least one place will be assigned to each of these two regions.
The places are assigned by comparing, in each region, the profiles of students attending the same study orientation or homogeneous study orientations.
The places are assigned to those candidates judged as being worthy of merit and capable, on the basis of the data resulting from their candidature, of benefiting from the formative and informative experience of an Orientation Course.
The above mentioned result will be obtained by considering and evaluating the following:
a) the final marks obtained in each of the two preceding school years, taking into consideration both the average of the marks (with the exclusion of conduct, Catholic education and motor sciences, however denominated), and any particularly significant results, including participation in competitions in certain subjects or homogeneous study contexts:
- average of the marks: score from 1 (average of 7/10) to 4 (average of 10/10), with the possibility of decimal points;
- particularly significant results in certain subjects, for both school marks and results of participation in competitions (such as Olympics or certamen), with the possibility of decimal points up to a maximum increase of 0.5/4.
The overall score for school marks cannot in any case be higher than 4/8.
b) the candidate's profile, any activities or interests including those outside school, the motivations provided by the student for wishing to participate in the courses: score from 1 to 4, with the possibility of decimal points, as follows:
- the candidate's profile and/or motivations, albeit formulated correctly in accordance with the specifications of the circular, do not present any particular aspects of interest. No activities, including those outside school, or motivations relevant to the purposes of the selection: maximum score 1
- the candidate's profile and/or motivations, formulated correctly in accordance with the specifications of the circular, albeit with predominantly standard contents, include activities, motivations or interests, including those outside school, that suggest elements noteworthy of consideration for selection: maximum score 2
- the candidate's profile, on account of the activities and interests stated, including those outside school, and/or the motivations proposed, suggest significant elements noteworthy of consideration for selection: maximum score 3
- the candidate's profile, because of the activities and interests stated, including those outside school, and/or the motivations proposed, is characterised by particular and significant originality and importance for the purposes of selection: maximum score 4.
Other personal information collected in the candidature form are for statistical purposes only, and do not contribute in any way to the attribution of scores at the selection process.
Notwithstanding situations judged as being equivalent, the selection process may favour the participation of students proposed by schools from which no candidates presented in the preceding two-year period were selected, in order to allow for the selection among a greater number of schools and locations and for a rotation between the schools that send candidatures with a higher frequency. As a rule, there can be a maximum of two candidates selected from the same school.
The percentage of those selected of the same gender may not be higher than 60% of the total number admitted.
Candidatures are considered as being equivalent when, after the evaluation on the basis of the criteria indicated, they present a difference in the score of a maximum of 0.4/8.
Candidatures may also be considered from students recommended for the courses of the Scuola di Orientamento Universitario (the University Orientation School). In no case, however, can the same candidate be selected to take part in more than one of the courses.
The above criteria will also be referred to for the selection of the participants in the courses to be admitted by direct application. In this case, the students selected will be admitted to the course they indicated in their application.
The person in charge of the selection process for the courses organised by the SNS is its Director, who has at his disposal an appropriate commission for the preliminary activities.
Scuola di Orientamento Universitario (University Orientation School)
The selection process will be carried out by a Commission consisting of representatives from the three Scuole. On the basis of the candidatures received, the Commission will identify the candidates to be admitted to the courses by evaluating each student's school results and personal profile.
The evaluation of the candidates' school results will take into consideration the final average of the marks obtained in the third year and in the first trimester/quarter of the ongoing school year. The average is calculated by including all the subjects (including conduct and motor sciences and sports) but excluding the marks for religion, since this is an optional subject.
To ensure a balanced representation of the national school population, the participants will also be selected on the basis of a division into 5 regional macro-areas (North West, North East, Centre, South and Islands) in consideration of the number of nominations received and/or the number of schools involved.
A further criterion will be that of allowing the participation in only one Orientation Course, including those organised autonomously by the SNS.
The list of the students selected and their respective assignation to the courses will be published on the web sites of the three Scuole (Sant'Anna, SNS and IUSS) by mid-June.