Democracy and social movements
The group focuses on the interactions between social movements and democracy, bridging social science approaches to both topics in both theoretical and empirical perspectives. The main innovation consists in addressing both structural preconditions as well as the actors’ strategies, looking at the intersection of structure and agency.
In an historical and comparative perspective, the cluster aims at developing a description and an understanding of the conditions and effects of the participation of civil society organizations in the various stages of democratization processes.
Participated or organized events
Donatella della Porta gave the following presentations at international conferences:
10/11/2021 Gothenborg. Participation at a Roundtable on Recent trend in social movement studies
19/11/2021 SNS Introduction to the Conference on Feminism as a methodology
28/10/2021 Barcelona, Pompeu Fabra Opening Lecture on Social movements and repressive turns
14/10/221. SNS. Presentazione at the conference on Le organizzazione di cooperazione allo sviluppo
12/10/2021 SNS Presentation at the Conference on I ricchi
8-9/10/2021 Turin Lectures at the Biennale per la Democrazia
24/9/2021 University of Crete. Keynote at the conference in my honour
13/7/2021 Geneva. United Nation. Keynote on Social movements in pandemic times
3/7/2021 Vienna. Presentation at Plenar session on Black Lives Matter
7/12/2020 Oslo. Talk on How Social Movements can save democracy
9/10/2020 San Paulo do Brasil, Talk on How social movements can save democracy
2/10/2020 Barcelona Keynote at Summar School on De-Growth
24/9/2020 New York University Keynote at International Talks series on Contentious Politics
9/7/2020 Keynote at International Summer School on De-Growth
6/7/2020 Keynote at International Summer School on Migration
29/6/2020 Keynote at International Summer School on Urban and environmental Studies
19/6/2020 Berlin, Hertie School of Governance. Conference on Emergency Times
20/5/2020 Lisbon Talk on Social Movements in Pandemic Times
27/4/2020 Copenhagen. Conferenza su Social Movements in Pandemic Times
21/1/2020 SNS Apertura conferenza sui centri anti-violenza e la nuova ondata di movimenti femministi
13/1/2020, Berlino, Keynote alla conferenza organizzata dal Ministero degli Esteri Tedesco sulla società civile
1. Della Porta, D. 2021, Progressive Soziale Bewegungen und europaeische Oeffentlichkeiten, Leviathan, 73, 188-202
2. Ciccia, R., D. della Porta and E. Pavan, 2021, Introduction, Feminist alliances, special issue oft he European Journal of Politics and Gender 4 (2), 175-179.
3. Pirro, A.L. and D, della Porta, 2021 On Corruption and State Capture: The struggle on anti-corruption in Hungary, Europe-Asia Studies 73 (3) 433-450.
4. della Porta, D. (2020c). How progressive social movements can save democracy in pandemic timesd Interface: a journal for and about social movements 12 (1): 355– 358.
5. (with Mario Diani), Welfare e conflitti sociali, in Parolechiave, 2020, 28 (2), 101-110.
6. Donatella della Porta (2021) Communication in progressive movement parties: against populism and beyond digitalism, Information, Communication & Society, 24:10, 1344-1360, DOI: 10.1080/1369118X.2021.1894212
7. della Porta, D.,, M. Keating and Mario Pianta 2020. Introduction to Special issue of Territory, Politics, Governance 9 (3), 325-330
8. Donatella della Porta (2021) From another Europe to beyond Europe? Visions of Europe in movements, Social Movement Studies, DOI: 10.1080/14742837.2021.1993182
9. della Porta, Donatella and Elias Steinhilper, 2021. Introduction to Solidarity in Motions, Special isse of Critical sociology, 47 (2).
10. della Porta, D. (2020) Europeanisation from below: Still time for another Europe? Introduction to the special issue of the European Journal of Cultural and Political Sociology, European Journal of Cultural and Political Sociology 7 (3): 225-241.
11. Della Porta, Donatella, Francis O’Connor and Martín Portos. “Ciclos de protesta y referéndums por la independencia. Oportunidades cerradas y el camino de la radicalización en Cataluña.” Revista Internacional De Sociologia 77 (2019)
12. D della Porta, G Piazza, N Bertuzzi, G Sorci 2019 LULUs Movements in Multilevel Struggles: A Comparison of Four Movements in Italy, Rivista Italiana di Politiche Pubbliche 14 (3), 477-513
13. FW Scharpf, D della Porta, H Brunkhorst, M Eigmüller, M Seeliger 22019 A search for alternatives: Hauke Brunkhorst, Donatella della Porta and Fritz W. Scharpf on the state of the European Integration Culture, Practice & Europeanization 4 (1), 165-174
14. 3. Donatella della Porta and Andrea Felicetti. ‘Innovating Democracy against Democratic Stress in Europe: Social movements and democratic experiments' Representation (2019).
15. della Porta, D., & Portos, M. 2020. A bourgeois story? The class basis of Catalan independentism. in Territory, Politics, Governance https://doi.org/10.1080/21622671.2020.1737208.
16. della Porta, D., & Portos, M. 2020. Social movements in times of inequalities: struggling against austerity in Europe. Structural Change and Economic Dynamics, 53: 116-126, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.strueco.2020.01.011.
17. della Porta, D., O'Connor, F., Portos, M. 2019 Protest cycles and referendums for independence: closed opportunities and the path of radicalization in Catalonia. Revista Internacional de Sociología, 77(4): e145, 2 https://doi.org/10.3989/ris.2019.77.4.19.005.
Della Porta, Donatella and Mario Diani, Social Movements: An introduction, 3rd edition, Blackwell, 2020
Della Porta, Donatella, How Social Movements can Save Democracy, Polity, 2020
Della Porta, Donatella, Die schoene neue Demokratie. Ueber das potentiale soziale Bewegungen, Campus Verlag, 2020
Della Porta, Donatella, Pietro Castelli Gattinara, Andrea Felicetti, Konstantinos Eleftheriadis, Discoursive Turns and Critical Junctures, Oxford University Press, 2020
Chapters in books
Felicetti, Andrea and della Porta, Donatella. Joining Forces: The Sortition Chamber from a Social Movement Perspective in John Gastil and Erik O. Wright Legislature by Lot, Verso Books, 2019.
Della Porta, D., O’Connor, F., Portos, M. 2019. The framing of secessionism in the neo-liberal crisis: the Scottish and Catalan cases. In C. Closa, C. Margiotta, G. Martinico (eds.) Between Democracy and Law: The Amorality of ecession. Basingstoke: Routledge.
Della Porta (2019) Time Intensification in Revolutionary Dynamics, in Telios, Thomas, Thomä, Dieter, Schmid, Ulrich (Eds.) The Russian Revolution as Ideal and Practice, London: Palgrave 261-281
Della Porta (2019) Democratic models in Europe in Cristina Flesher Fominaya, Ramon A. Feenstra (eds.) Routledge Handbook of Contemporary European Social Movements: London, Routledge.
Della Porta 2019 Activist Citizens: An Afterword in Birte Siim, Anna Krasteva , Aino Saarinen (eds.), Citizens' Activism and Solidarity Movements, London: Palgrave, 293-304
Della Porta Contentious moves: Some conclusions in B. Siim (ed.), Solidarity Mobilizations in the ‘Refugee Crisis’, Palgrave, 325-347
L Bosi, D della Porta, S Malthaner 2019 Organizational and Institutional Approaches The Oxford Handbook of Terrorism, Oxford University Press
Articles in Scientific Journals
Donatella della Porta and Andrea Felicetti. ‘Innovating Democracy against Democratic Stress in Europe: Social movements and democratic experiments’ Representation (2019). della Porta, D., O’Connor, F., Portos, M. 2019 Protest cycles and referendums for independence: closed opportunities and the path of radicalization in Catalonia. Revista Internacional de Sociología, 77(4): e145, 2
Felicetti, Andrea. Learning from democratic practices: New perspectives in institutional design, The Journal of Politics (2021).
Felicetti, Andrea. Systemic unsustainability as a threat to democracy, Environmental Values (2020).