Departments of excellence
The Faculty of Letters and Philosophy and the Faculty of Sciences of the SNS obtained funding related to the “Dipartimenti di Eccellenza” (“Departments of Excellence”) initiative2018-2022 (launched with Law No. 232, Art. 1 of 11 December 2016), thanks to their placing and to the projects presented.
The project of the Faculty of Letters and Philosophy has as its mainstay the study of the relationship between iconic and verbal language, in its widest extension in both temporal terms (from antiquity to the contemporary age) and disciplinary range (History of Art, Literature, Philology, History and Philosophy). Starting from the consolidated lines of research and from the most recent scientific results, it has the following main aims:
* to strengthen the activities of research and education along the thematic lines of word-image, in particular with the institution of a new doctorate in the History of Art covering the periods ranging from ancient to contemporary art and representing a reference point for the studies carried out within the Faculty of Letters and Philosophy on the relationship between text and image;
* to integrate and strengthen the convergence of the three laboratories that have developed studies and research on the word and the image in recent times: the DocStAR, SAET and SMART laboratories.
The project of the Faculty of Sciences proposes to develop lines of advanced research and training in the computational sciences and in data science, favouring their integration with the other afferent disciplinary areas. Starting from the consolidated lines of research and from the most recent scientific results, it has the following main aims:
* to strengthen the research group in Financial Mathematics and to form a group dedicated to the computational sciences;
* to activate a doctorate course in computational sciences;
* to develop and consolidate the educational activities in mathematical, statistical and computational methods, increasing the synergies between the research groups involved;
* to create a centralised infrastructure for high-performance computing and Big Data.