Mario Pianta is Full Professor (Professore Ordinario) of Economic Policy at Scuola Normale Superiore, Faculty of Political and Social Sciences, Firenze, with the ‘Carlo Azeglio Ciampi Chair on The political economy and historical dynamics of modern capitalism’, on transfer from Università di Urbino Carlo Bo, Dipartimento di Economia, Società, Politica.
He is President of the Istituto di Studi Avanzati Carlo Azeglio Ciampi (https://www.sns.it/it/istituto-studi-avanzati-carlo-azeglio-ciampi), and member of the Advisory Board of the Edizioni della Normale. He teaches the course on ‘International Political Economy’.
Mario Pianta is a member of the Committee on Innovation and Development of the Accademia Nazionale dei Lincei (Italy’s Academy of Sciences), where he has been a member of the Centro Linceo Interdisciplinare ‘Beniamino Segre’ in 2011-2014, with an interdisciplinary research project on ‘Evolution and economic change’.
Mario Pianta is co-Chief Editor of the journal Structural Change and Economic Dynamics (https://www.sciencedirect.com/journal/structural-change-and-economic-dynamics)(Elsevier).
His research themes include international political economy, the causes and consequences of inequality, the relationships between innovation, growth and employment, the evolution of economic, industrial and research policies in Europe and in Italy. On these themes, he has tutored twenty Ph.D. students at several universities.
Mario Pianta has previously been a Professor at Università Roma Tre and Università di Urbino Carlo Bo, and a researcher at the National Research Council in Rome. He has been Fernand Braudel Fellow at the European University Institute, Department of Political and Social Sciences, in Fiesole (Florence) (November 2006-April 2007); visiting professor at the Centre for International Studies, London School of Economics (May-July 2007); visiting professor at CRPS, Université Paris 1, Panthéon Sorbonne (September-October 2007). He has been a research fellow at Columbia University, New York; a visiting scholar at the University of Cambridge, and has obtained his Ph.D. from the London School of Economics.
Mario Pianta has carried out research in cooperation with the European Commission, the OECD, ILO, UNRISD, UNIDO, MIUR, the Bank of Italy, Regione Toscana. He has been the co-author of the annual RIO Country Report on Italy of the European Commission-Joint Research Centre. He has an international experience on research evaluation, including EU Framework Programmes. He has been a member of the Evaluation Committee for the Habilitation of Professors (Abilitazione Scientifica Nazionale, 2012-2013), and of fifteen selection committees (Commissioni di concorso) for university positions.
- (with M. Franzini) Explaining inequality, London, Routledge, 2016. Italian translation: Disuguaglianze. Quante sono, come combatterle. Rome-Bari, Laterza, 2016.
- (with G. Marcon) Sbilanciamo l’economia. Una via d’uscita dalla crisi, Rome-Bari, Laterza, 2013.
- Nove su dieci. Perché stiamo (quasi) tutti peggio di 10 anni fa, Rome-Bari, Laterza, 2012.
- (co-editor with P. Utting and A. Ellersiek) Global Justice Activism and Policy Reform in Europe. Understanding how change happens. London, Routledge, 2012.
Recent Journal Special Issues
- Co-editor with R. Scazzieri of the special issue of the journal Structural Change and Economic Dynamics on ‘Economic change: structure and evolution’, fortcoming.
- Co-editor with D. della Porta and J. Galbraith of the special issue of the journal Structural Change and Economic Dynamics on ‘The political consequences of inequality’, 2021.
- Co-editor with D. della Porta and M. Keating of the of the special issue of the journal Territory, Politics, Governance on ‘Inequalities, territorial politics, nationalism’, 2021
- Guest editor of the special issue of the journal Economics of Innovation and New Technologies on ‘Innovation and economic change’, 2016.
Publications are available here: https://works.bepress.com/mario_pianta