The 'political economy group' looks at the political and social dimensions of economic processes, and in particular at the drivers and the governance of:
economic internationalization (global and European integration, global value chains, global finance, migrations);
work and employment (inequalities, conflicts, demographic and technological change).
Recent research projects
Technology, Industry, Labour
- UNIDO projects on ‘The impact of the pndemic on industries’ and ‘The challenge of digitalisation for firms in emerging countries’ by Mario Pianta
- Regione Toscana projects on ‘Industrial policy in Europe and Italy’ and ‘Il sistema ricerca-innovazione in Toscana’ led by Mario Pianta
- European Commission-JRC project on ‘The migration of Italian researchers’ led by Mario Pianta
- SNS project on ‘social concertation under populism’ led by Guglielmo Meardi
SNS project on ‘The political consequences of inequality’, coordinated by Mario Pianta
- SNS project: ‘Why does international economic cooperation wax and wane’, led by Manuela Moschella
- ‘European Political Economy’, led by Manuela Moschella
- ‘International labour recruiting in European shipbuilding’, funded by the Research Council of Norway, with Guglielmo Meardi
Organisation of international conferences and policy advice
The research group organises a rich program of seminars and workshops. In particular, in 2021 it organized workshops on digitalisation and on inequalities, and it hosted the Industrial Relations in Europe Conference.
Our research in political economy, while theoretically and scientifically oriented, has frequent policy implications. The groups maximises its impact through presentations and collaborations, including Manuela Moschella’s presentations on Euro governance in the European Parliament, and Guglielmo Meardi’s role in the advisory board of the European Foundation for the Improvement of Living and Working Conditions.
The research groups welcomes a number of PhD students, and organizes activities such as a yearly Research Design on Political Economy and Economic Sociology doctoral colloquium, summer schools and advanced courses.