The "Emma e Giovanni Sansone" Foundation (recognized by Decree of the President of the Republic No. 376 of March 1, 1983) was set up to implement the last will provisions of Prof. Giovanni Sansone, who was a student of the Scuola Normale from 1906 to 1910 and later Professor of Mathematics.
The Foundation is based at the Scuola Normale and grants postgraduate scholarships to young graduates in mathematics.
Executive Council of the Foundation
- Vincenzo Barone, Director of the Scuola Normale Superiore, President
- Angelo Vistoli, Dean of the Faculty of Mathematics and Natural Sciences, Scuola Normale Superiore
- Stefano Marmi, full professor of Mathematical Analysis at the Scuola Normale Superiore
- Fulvio Ricci, professor of Mathematical Analysis at the Scuola Normale Superiore
- Daniele Altamore, manager of the Scuola Normale Superiore, Secretary
Brief Biography of Giovanni Sansone
(Born Porto Empedocle, 24 May 1888 – d. Florence, 13 October 1979)
Student of the Scuola Normale from 1906 to 1910, where he graduated in mathematics.
Mathematics teacher and lecturer at various schools and universities.
In particular, he held the chair of Mathematical Analysis at the Faculty of Science of the University of Florence from 1927 to 1958.
Mathematics lecturer at the Scuola Normale from 1947 to 1949.
In 1950 he established the "U. Dini " Institute of Mathematics at the University of Florence.
President of the Associazione Normalisti in 1957.
Dean of the Faculty of Science of the University of Florence from 1957 to 1963.
Chairman of the CNR Committee for Mathematics from 1960 to 1968.
In 1978 the City of Florence awarded him honorary citizenship and the University of Florence awarded him the title of doctor honoris causa in engineering.