Palazzo della Carovana
Curriculum Vitae of Umberto Zannier
EDUCATION and POSITIONS
Born, May 25, 1957
- 1976/80 - Student, University of Pisa and Scuola Normale Superiore, Pisa.
- 1980/83 - Perfezionando, Scuola Normale Superiore, Pisa (and Teaching Assistant, Un. Illinois).
- Then Ricercatore (Padova 1983/1987), Associate Professor of Algebra (Salerno 1987/1991),
- Full Professor of Geometry (Venice 1991/2003).
- Since 2004: Full Professor of Geometry (Scuola Normale Superiore, Pisa)
MEMBERSHIPS - HONORS
2004 - Elected member (non-resident) of the Academy Istituto Veneto di Scienze Lettere ed Arti.
2005 - Prize: Medal for Mathematics of the Italian National Academy of Sciences.
2006 - Elected member of Accademia Nazionale dei Lincei.
2011 - Recipient of Advanced Grant “Diophantine Problems” (5 years), by the European Research Council.
2012 - Elected member of “Academia Europaea”.
2011: Prize “Premio S. Marco” (Citta di Pordenone) and Member of the Accademia S. Marco(Pordenone).
2011: Honorary member of the ‘Societ`a indologica Pio Tessitori’ (Udine), for promoting scientific cooperation with Indian mathematics.
- The work of Zannier has been the object of two “Seminaire Bourbaki” by Y. Bilu (on the Subspace Theorem) and by A. Chambert-Loir (on Unlikely Intersections).
SOME INVITED LECTURES
2003 - Plenary lecture at biennial Number Theory meeting Journ´ees Arithm´etiques.
2004 - Invited Lecture at ‘Fourth European Congress of Mathematics’, Stockholm.
2006 - Plenary lecture at ‘Number Theory Days’, ETH Zuerich.
2008 - Plenary lecture at Giornata INDAM, Padova.
2008 - “Nachdiploma Course” ETH (then shifted for personal reasons to a course in 2009).
2009 - Plenary lecture at Diophantine Geometry, (in honor of G. Wuestholz), ETH Zuerich.
2009 - Lezione Lagrangiana, Torino.
2009 - Plenary lecture at The Interplay of Algebra and Geometry, (in honor of C. De Concini) Cortona.
2010 - The Hermann Weyl Lectures (Series of four lectures) Institute for Advanced Study, Princeton (May 2010).
2011 - Plenary lecture at the meeting in honor of W. Schmidt (Vienna ESI).
2012 – Plenary lecture at Arithmetic Geometry and Arithmetic Dynamics (in honor of L. Szpiro), New York, May 2012.
2012 - Plenary lecture at the biennial Number Theory meeting “CNTA XII”, (Canada).
2013 - Plenary lecture at the biennial Number Theory meeting Journ´ees Arithm´etiques.
2013 - Plenary lecture at the joint Austrian-German Math. Societies meeting (Innsbruck).
2013 - Course at ‘Midrasha School’, Israel Institute for Advanced Studies.
2014 - Invited Section Lecture (Number Theory) at the ICM in Seoul.
2014 - Plenary lecture at Oxford Clay meeting on Functional Transcendence,2015 - Plenary lecture at symposium in honor of J. Silverman (Brown Univ.)
2016 - The Ritt Lectures (Columbia University, New York, May 3–4).
2016 - Course at Alpbach Summer School (with P. Scholze and S. Zhang).
2017 - Distinguished Lecture Series at the Fields Institute - Toronto (within the Programme “Theory of Heights”, Feb.-June 2017).
2017 - Minerva Lecture Series, Princeton University, November 2017.
2018 - PIMS Distinghished Collquium, Univ. of British Columbia, Vancouver, 2 March 2018.
2018 - Plenary lecture at Arithmetic and Analysis, in honor of C. Deninger, Muenster.
JOURNALS Ed. Board
Analysis, Geometry and Number Theory,
Annali della Scuola Normale Superiore di Pisa, Cl. Sci. (Director since 2012),
Bollettino della Unione Matematica Italiana,
International Journal of Number Theory (Managing Editor, with B. Berndt and R. Sujatha), resigned 2018.
International Mathematics Research Notices (IMRN),
Journal of the European Math. Society (JEMS),
Journal of Number Theory,
Monatshefte fuer Mathematik (MOFM),
Rendiconti Matematici dell’Accademia dei Lincei, RML,
Rendiconti del Seminario Matematico Univ. Padova.
Analytic Number Theory (Proc. of Amalfi Conference 1989),
Diophantine Approximation (Proc. of Cetraro CIME Conf. 2000, Springer),
Diophantine Geometry (Proc. of Pisa Conf., 2003, SNS),
Colloquia De Giorgi (Pisa, 2006/2012, 5 short volumes, SNS).
On some applications of Diophantine approximations, Ed. Norm., Pisa, 2014, 160 pp.. (Transation by C. Fuchs from the German of Siegel’s original 1929 paper on dioph. approx., with a commentary and an article Integral points on curves: Siegel’s theorem after Siegel’s proof by the Editors.)
SOME VISITED RESEARCH CENTERS
AIM Palo Alto, Banach Center Warszaw, CIRM Luminy, ETH Zuerich, Haussdorff Institut Bonn, Institute for Advanced Study, Princeton (1991,1996,1997,1998, 2000-Member,2001, 2003, 2004, 2006, 2010, 2011, 2013), IHES-Paris, Israel Institute for Advanced Studies, Jerusalem, IHP-Paris Prof. Invité 1999), Lorentz Center Leiden, Max Planck Institut Bonn, MFO Oberwolfach, MSRI Berkeley, Newton Inst. Cambridge, Schroedinger Institut ESI Vienna, SISSA-ICTP Trieste.
(Co-)ORGANIZATION of RESEARCH and ADMINISTRATIVE POSITIONS
- Analytic Number Theory, Amalfi 1989,
- Diophantine Approximation, Cetraro 2002,
- Trimester in Dioph. Geometry, Centro De Giorgi, Pisa 2004,
- Italy-India meeting in Number Theory, 2009, SNS Pisa,
- ‘The mysterious nature of transcendental numbers’ (Istituto Veneto, Venezia, October 2010)
- AIM meeting 2011 on Model Theory and Unlikely Intersections, CDG Pisa, 2011,- ERC meeting, October 2011, CDG Pisa,
- ‘Heights’, ESI, Vienna, November 2013,
- ERC meeting, July 2014, Cetraro.
- ERC meeting at Accademia dei Lincei, Roma, May 2015.
REGULAR SEMINAR SERIES
- Organizer of ‘Colloquia De Giorgi’ at the Scuola Normale di Pisa (2006–2015).
- Co-organizer of the Oberwolfach and Luminy meetings in Diophantine Approximation (since 2008).
- Responsible for the International Relationships at the Scuola Normale di Pisa (2007/2009).
- Member of the Committee for Mathematics for election to Academia Europaea (since 2013).
- 1996/2008: Member of the National research group in Number Theory and Diophantine Problems (Local Director until 2006 and after 2010, National Director 2006/2009). - 1995/2006 – Member of the European Network: ‘Arithmetic Algebraic Geometry’. - 2011/ January 2016 PI of the ERC Advanced Grant “Diophantine Problems (to expire in Jan. 2016).
- Member of several committees for prizes, meetings and for PhD theses.
MAIN COLLABORATORS (quondam):
F. Amoroso (Caen), F. Bogomolov (Courant Inst. NY), E. Bombieri (IAS Princeton), P.B. Cohen (Texas A& M), P. Corvaja (Udine), P. D`ebes (Lille), A.J. De Jong (MIT), R. Dvornicich (Pisa), J.H. Evertse (Leiden), P. Habegger (ETH Zuerich), A. Levin (Michigan State), D. Masser (Basel), A. Perelli (Genova), J. Pila (Oxford), Z. Rudnick (Tel Aviv), A. Schinzel (Polish Acad. of Sciences), W.M. Schmidt (Boulder), L. Szpiro (Paris Orsay and CUNY Graduate Center).
Author of over 160 published research papers (in journals including Acta Math., Advances in Math., American J. of Math., Ann. ENS, Ann. de l’Institut Fourier, Ann. SNS, Annals of Math., Compositio Math., Crelles J., Duke Mathematical J., International Math. Research Notices, Inventiones Math., J. of Algebraic Geometry, Math. Annalen, Trans. AMS).
An updated list of publications appears in MathSciNet: http://www.ams.org/mathscinet/search/publications.html?pg1=INDI&s1=186540
- Some Applications of Diophantine Approximation to Diophantine Equation (Udine Forum, 2002), 60 pp.
- Lecture Notes on Diophantine Analysys (Edizioni della Normale, 2005, repr. 2014), 200 pp.
- Some problems of Unlikely Intersections in Arithmetic and Geometry, Annals of Math. Studies, n. 181, Princeton Univ. Press, 2012. 160 pp.
- Lecture Notes on the Elementary Theory of Valuations (with R. Scognamillo, Ed. della Normale). 120 pp.
Contributed to mathematical non-technical articles, e.g. for “Le Matematiche” (Einaudi, 2008), “Terzo Millennio” (Treccani) and “Mathematics and Culture in Europe (Manaresi Ed., Springer Verlag).