SOCIOLOGIA DEI FENOMENI POLITICI (SSD: SPS/11)
Lorenzo Bosi Associate Professor in Political Sociology at the Scuola Normale Superiore, where he is part of the COSMOS (Centre on Social Movement Studies) research team. He has received his Ph.D. in politics from Queen’s University, Belfast, in 2005 and is the past recipient of the ECRC (University of Kent), Jean Monnet and Marie Curie (EUI) post-doctorate fellowships. He has received his national Italian ‘Abilitazione’ for full professorship in Political Science and Sociology, in 2021.
Prof Bosi published per-reviewed articles in, among others, the following journals: American Behavioral Scientist, European Societies, Journal of Historical Sociology, Journal of Youth Studies, Mobilization, Nationalism and Ethnic Politics, Partecipazione&Conflitto, Politics, Qualitative Sociology, Rivista Italiana di Sociologia, Social Forces, Social Movement Studies and Politics, Social Science History and for the following publishers: Amsterdam University Press, Ashgate, Cambridge University Press, Carrocci, ECPR Press, Il Mulino, and Oxford University press.
He is a political sociologist pursuing comparative analysis into the cross-disciplinary fields of social movements and political violence. He has directed and collaborated on a number of national and international research projects on topics relating to social movements, political violence, and political participation. Since 2019, he is Director’s delgate for SNS at the SAR Italia, RUNIPACE and UNHCR networks.
Most recent publications:
- Bosi, Lavizzari and Portos. 2021. “The impact of intolerance on young people’s online political participation” Politics.
- Uba and Bosi. 2021. “Explaining youth radicalism as a positioning of the self at opposite extremes” Politics.
- Bosi, Lavizzari and Voli. 202. “Comparing young people’s participation across political organizations from a life course perspective” Journal of Youth Studies.
- Bosi and Zamponi. 2020. “Paths toward the Same Form of Collective Action: Direct Social Action in Times of Crisis in Italy” Social Forces.
- Bosi, Lavizzari and Voli. 2020. “Representation of youth in the public debate in Greece, Italy and Spain: does the political leaning of newspapers have any effect?”American Behavioral Scientist.
- Portos, Bosi and Zamponi. 2020. “Life beyond the ballot box: the political participation and non-participation of electoral abstainers” European Societies.
- Bosi e Zamponi. 2019. Resistere alla Crisi. I percorsi dell’azione sociale diretta. Il Mulino, Bologna.
- “Armed Groups Shifting Forms of Political Violence: a Socio-Spatial Relational Approach”, Internal SNS grant
- “Reinventing Democracy in Europe: Youth Doing Politics in Times of Increasing Inequalities”, EURYKA, H2020 (http://www.unige.ch/sciences-societe/euryka/home/)
RESEARCH INTERESTS AND Phd SUPERVISION
Prof. Bosi is open to supervising empirically-oriented research in areas related to:
- Social Movements
- Political Violence
- Political Sociology
- Historical Sociology
- Irina Aguiari
- Stella Christou
- Eleonora Desiata
- Sarah ElMasry
- Lydia Letsch
- Alessandra Lo Piccolo
- Mons Robert Lundstedt
- Carla Mannino
- Tobias Reinhardt
- Federica Stagni