Complesso San Silvestro
The San Silvestro Complex was the first site of the Normale, from 1810 to 1815.
It was probably founded in 1118, when the Pisan Archbishop Pietro Moriconi gave the church and monastery annexed to it to the Benedictine Monks of Montecassino, who remained there until 1270. In 1331 the buildings were given to the nuns of San Domenico, who oversaw the first restorations of the church. Between 1660 and 1700 more substantial works were carried out: the church was divided into two parts in order to create a choir or internal room for the nuns. During the 18th century the façade was completely redone: the architrave with the histories of Constantine and Silvestro was removed(and is now kept at the Museo Nazionale di San Matteo), and statues were added.
The church, now deconsecrated, is used as a workshop for the restoration of art. The 14th-century convent connected to the church has been used in various ways over the centuries: in 1782 the Grand Duke of Tuscany, Leopoldo, transformed the monastery into a conservatory for the daughters of nobles; at the beginning of the 19th century it became the property of the Order of the Salesians; it subsequently became a reformatory for minors and then a student residence.
Given over to the Normale for its free perpetual use , today the complex, many of its parts still being restored, hosts NEST – National Enterprise for nanoScience and nanoTechnology – and part of the Smart laboratory.